Rent, Utilities Utility issues

Ieshiarridley

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hi,
  • I would like to know if I'm renting an apartment, utilities have to be paid to property. Do they have the right to cut off any utility? i do not owe any back rent but I do owe 50.00 for this month for the light bill it was 192.38. I asked if I could get to Monday and was told they were getting cut off today.So I do not know if I have any rights in this situation but I would like to know them if I do.

Rights won't get your lights turned on over the weekend. Paying what you owe will. Choose wisely. The landlord has the absolute right to be paid on time, you have no right to tell the person you owe when you'll pay.

So I do not know if I have any rights in this situation but I would like to know them if I do.

You do have rights. But you have to understand the limitations on both you and the landlord.

The Texas landlord tenant statute allows a landlord to shut off utilities for non-payment BUT he has to comply with ALL of the requirements of Section 92.008.

I'm providing a link to just that section so you can print out copies, mark the provisions that apply to your situation and hand him a copy so that he knows what's in store for him if he fails to comply with ALL of the requirements.

Texas Property Code - PROP § 92.008 | FindLaw

Might not stop him from doing it but if he gets it wrong you and your lawyer can really do some damage to his wallet.

You do have rights. But you have to understand the limitations on both you and the landlord.

The Texas landlord tenant statute allows a landlord to shut off utilities for non-payment BUT he has to comply with ALL of the requirements of Section 92.008.

I'm providing a link to just that section so you can print out copies, mark the provisions that apply to your situation and hand him a copy so that he knows what's in store for him if he fails to comply with ALL of the requirements.

Texas Property Code - PROP § 92.008 | FindLaw

Might not stop him from doing it but if he gets it wrong you and your lawyer can really do some damage to his wallet.
Thank you for the information.

Back