Using music as a wedding DJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetliner2

I'm currently looking to become a wedding DJ. However, it seems very murky out there when you try to find info about any licensing that may be needed to legally play music. But I did find one possible answer, and wanted to see if this sounds right.

From what I've read the copyright laws state (I'm paraphrasing here) that as long as it's with family or a group of acquaintances, then it is considered to be a private performance. So having a party at your home with music playing would be perfectly legal. Now, here's the question - what I have read said that a wedding is still considered a private performance, even though I as the DJ would be getting paid for playing music at the wedding. The logic being that people are not paying to attend the event. Is this true, and if not, does anyone know what I would need to do to legally play music?

You would not have any copyright problems doing this. No licensing needed other than possibly a county/state business license depending on the size and scope of the operation.

Thank You for the response. I do want to clarify one part. When I'm saying licensing, I'm not talking about anything government issued. When you are given the rights to use a song it's called a license. The license is just the paper or email from the rights holder that you are permitted to use their work, and in what manner, or in this case a license from the three music societies that take care of granting rights, to be able to to play any of the songs they cover.

These are private events. You are in the clear. If that sort of permission was required then nobody would be playing music at weddings.

If you ask ASCAP (AMERICAN SOCIETY OF COMPOSERS, AUTHORS AND PUBLISHERS), they will tell you that anyone who even breathes a copyrighted tune is legally responsible to pay royalties. Here is their answer from the ASCAP Music Licensing FAQ:

Aren't musicians, entertainers and DJ's responsible for obtaining permission for music they perform?

Some people mistakenly assume that musicians and entertainers must obtain licenses to perform copyrighted music or that businesses where music is performed can shift their responsibility to musicians or entertainers. The law says all who participate in, or are responsible for, performances of music are legally responsible. Since it is the business owner who obtains the ultimate benefit from the performance, it is the business owner who obtains the license. Music license fees are one of the many costs of doing business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back