Using another company's material

• Thread Starter TotallyOblivious
  • Start date
T

TotallyOblivious

Jurisdiction
Other
I am not 100% sure where to post this question, so I will try here. Sorry if it's wrong!

I would like to start a webshop where I sell products related to other franchises, but I am not sure where something like this stands legally.

For the sake of the query, let's say I stay within the US and I wanna sell Disney-related products. How much of their name and materials am I legally allowed to use on my website? I know I can't use the trademarked terms in my domain name (like awesomedisneystore.com or something), but I can in on-page copy, product descriptions, etc. Correct?

Can I take screenshots from movies? Can I use promotional material made by Disney? Can I use their characters's likeness in my own promotional material?

Thanks.

I am not 100% sure where to post this question, so I will try here. Sorry if it's wrong!

I would like to start a webshop where I sell products related to other franchises, but I am not sure where something like this stands legally.

For the sake of the query, let's say I stay within the US and I wanna sell Disney-related products. How much of their name and materials am I legally allowed to use on my website? I know I can't use the trademarked terms in my domain name (like awesomedisneystore.com or something), but I can in on-page copy, product descriptions, etc. Correct?

Can I take screenshots from movies? Can I use promotional material made by Disney? Can I use their characters's likeness in my own promotional material?

Thanks.

What you're proposing to do, or considering doing will get you a "cease & desist" letter, plus a "takedown" letter.

Before you proceed, you might want to pay for a couple hours of a lawyer's time, otherwise you're going to get billed for thousands of dollars in imputed income, and damages to someone's brand.

Back