Usenet.nl Scam

N

NicoleNewby

Jurisdiction
Virginia
In January 2016 I briefly signed up for an online website called usenet.nl. I initially signed up for a free 14 day trial, but chose to pay for the Compact Package which was 12,00 a month. It turned out to not be what I thought it was, so I canceled it through paypal 15 minutes later. The next month I received an email from the company saying they couldn't access my paypal and that their service will not be offered if I do not pay. I thought that was the end of it. Then I get a threatening letter in the mail from a german debt collecting agency threatening to take legal action if I do not pay the bill. I did not cancel according to their policy, so I sucked it up and paid the bill. On August 16, I get an email saying my account has been reactivated and renewed. I did not request this, so I contacted them. They told me that they renewed my second account. I knew nothing about this. Apparently when I asked for the trial, and paid for the package I wanted, instead of converging the two accounts, which is what their policy states will happen "If the customer does not exercise this cancellation right during the trial period, the contract is converted to the chosen product package after the trial period expires," they made it two separate accounts. I did not request it to be two separate accounts and nowhere in their policy does it say that will happen. On top of that, the trial account was set up for an annual charge, and they charged me again for the annual fee when my subscription was not up for renewal yet. I should not have to pay for an account I never asked for. If they attempt to take legal action against me, do they have a case?

Not having read the agreement when you signed up, it is difficult to say. If this is a German company, the odds they will pursue a $12 a month account internationally are remote. If you can't square it with the company, try disputing it with your bank or credit card company.

Not having read the agreement when you signed up, it is difficult to say. If this is a German company, the odds they will pursue a $12 a month account internationally are remote. If you can't square it with the company, try disputing it with your bank or credit card company.

It's not a 12 Euro dispute. That is the account I already paid off. The trial account, which I did not ask for, is for 165. I am trying to dispute that account, because I chose the other package. So basically the company charged me for both packages when I only requested one. I have an invoice for only one account. This is what their policy says about the trial account, and what happens when the trial expires:"If the customer does not exercise this cancellation right during the trial period, the contract is converted to the chosen product package after the trial period expires." Instead of converting the account into the package I chose, they made two separate accounts. The company has yet to give me an answer.

Have you tried calling and talking to a human being in customer service?

Have you tried calling and talking to a human being in customer service?

Yes, I always get the number is not in service message or the phone will ring for hours, then finally hang up. I'm guessing they don't want to talk to anyone. Even tried emailing. My point is that they are claiming I owe them money for an account I did not ask for and can't prove that I asked for separate accounts. Do they have a real case against me because I have no intention of paying?

Personally I would cease all contact. Monitor credit reports and dispute anything about this that might show up.
If they are based in Germany you will likely never get anything more than phone calls or an occasional letter. Phone calls can be blocked and letters can go directly to trash. If you receive any legal document from a US court don't ignore it.

Personally I would cease all contact. Monitor credit reports and dispute anything about this that might show up.
If they are based in Germany you will likely never get anything more than phone calls or an occasional letter. Phone calls can be blocked and letters can go directly to trash. If you receive any legal document from a US court don't ignore it.
Thanks.

What happened in the end? As I'm in the sam boat as you, signed up , tried to cancel within 14 days cancelled my PayPal they said my account is suspended and a German company is trying to get money from me

What happened in the end? As I'm in the sam boat as you, signed up , tried to cancel within 14 days cancelled my PayPal they said my account is suspended and a German company is trying to get money from me

The OP messaged me a week ago, he received a €575,000 settlement.

Back