Used Car Troubles From Dealership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davey8313

My wife bought a car a month ago. They had the payments and everything worked out for about a week, but then they called and said they needed her to come back in. Ever since then they have her coming in every couple of days it seems and calling her every day to try and work something out. They have switched her loan to a couple different banks now. Is their any way that she could just get her down payment back from them and go elsewhere? It's just becoming such a hassle driving back and forth all the time to the dealership to have them say something has came up again. I believe they shouldn't have sold the car in the first place until everything was right and ready to go. She's put 5000 miles on it so I believe they should maybe keep like $400-500 of the down payment for that, but that's it. Thank you.

Yes, you can say you can't get financing.
But, your 'e also right, they are going to want some of your deposit for the wear and tear.

Say you want to give them their car back and you want your money in return.
See what happens.

I would be careful about that. If they can't get you financing, what makes you think that some other place can get you financing. You think it's inconvenient to "run back and forth tot he dealer" imagine how inconvenient it will be to not have a car. I would stick to the payment terms you agreed to and cooperate with them until they either find you a loan with those terms or they agree to finance it themselves.

I would NOT let them change the financing terms (if they did I would void the contract and want all of my money back). I would not let them keep all the deposit. Beyond that, you have a car, I wouldn't give that up on the CHANCE that someone else can get you a loan.

They said they charge $1.49 per mile so that's more than the down payment she put on it. We have another car so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to lose this one. I just figure if they can't get us financing on this car, we'll just go somewhere else and get a cheaper car. She put $4,000 down so I figure if we put like $3,000 down on something else that's used for like $6,000-$7,000 that we could hopefully get the rest of that financed. If not, we'll just keep using our current car.

1.47 a mile is unrealistic. They are just trying to keep the money. I would not let them keep more than 500-1000 dollars. This is their screw up.

It is really simple... stop going back in to the dealership and allowing them to make changes. Read the contract... the time allowed for these changes has likely passed. Keep making your payments as agreed and stop signing new documents.
If they want the car back they can repossess it, but they will have to show that you are not paying or otherwise in violation of the contract.
With 5000 miles they won't want it back, and you will NOT be on the hook for any mileage fees unless ou signed something agreeing to that.Even so, the amount given is unrealistic.

If it were me, I would get my documents in order, make sure I understand the terms and my obligations, and stop agreeing to additional changes. THey will strictly hold you to the terms of that contract- do the same to them. Keep the car, but pay for it as agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back