Used car purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvillan4561

I purchased a used car from a acquaintance's daughter. I had asked about registration and was informed that it only needs to be registered for the current year. When I went to the DMV, I found out that the car was not under her name and that DMV shows that the owner is another person and that the car has not been registered for the past 2 years. DMV is now asking almost $400.00 dollars to register the car. It also turned out that since the daughter I purchased the car from never registered the car. The car has since been impounded because it of the registration issue. Do I have a valid claim if I were to take this person to court and file a small claim lawsuit to get my money back? Can anyone sell a car even though DMV says that the car is not theirs since they have not registered the car? Any advise will be much appreciated.

Yes, you can bring a small claims action against this crook.

You can also contact the police and tell them you have been defrauded.

She sold you a car she did nit own.
That is fraud.
I suspect the car belonged to an "ex" boyfriend.

This happens a lot.

Once the police get involved, it may be easier to get your money back.

How much did you pay for the car?

If it's a $300-500, it may not be worth your trouble to go to small claims. The car was a junker. But, the criminal process could get you your money back quicker. Call the police and see what they say or go visit with a detective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back