Used Car Had Undiscovered Issue That I Now Own...

O

oncenterline

Jurisdiction
Oregon
I bought a 2006 Chevy Aveo about 2 months ago. I drove it home and drove it 3 times. I quickly realized that the car had great difficulty starting in the cold mornings. As in the car barely starts and then, when started, it runs very rough. When I test drove it in the warm daytime...this was not an issue.

I immediately took the car back to the dealer where it has been sitting for a month while they fail at troubleshooting it. They still have no idea what is wrong this car as of November 5th 2016.

In the meantime, I have to make car payments and get full-coverage insurance on this unreliable car that I cannot use.

My argument: While I appreciate that they are looking at this car that was sold to me in "As-Is" condition...I feel that the dealership was negligent for not finding this underlying issue before they listed this, former trade-in, for sale and sold it to me.

I feel that the dealership was negligent for not finding this underlying issue before they listed this, former trade-in, for sale and sold it to me.

Prove it.

I'm the last person in the world to come to the defense of a used car dealer but the car is 10 years old. Dealers take those cars in trade and immediately put them out for sale, AS IS, without bothering to check for anything and they are usually sold within a few days.

I suspect you aren't going to have any recourse against the dealer if all you have is speculation that the dealer "knew" and you have no evidence of it.

I feel that the dealership was negligent...

Hardly. Maybe you should have had the car checked by your regular mechanic before the purchase.

When sold "as is" as this one apparently was then you're certainly stuck. And if the car has been at the dealership a month I'd start to be concerned that either they're letting it sit and ignoring it or they have no idea what they're doing.

Used cars are generally sold "as is" & it's buyer beware unless you are told different by the dealer/seller or have a warranty to the contrary. Always have a vehicle checked out by a mechanic of your choice before purchasing.

As is means just that. No recourse against the seller (except for certain safety issues such as brakes.) However, you do not have to leave it at the dealership. Feel free to take it to any repair shop of your choice.

Back