used car buying

A

AZFireFighter1984

Jurisdiction
Arizona
Bought as used mini van with 101000 miles on it. I was detailing the van the next day and in cleaning out the glove box found a receipt where previous owner had it in for trans problems. receipt recommend the transmission be rebuilt, owner does not wish work performed at this time. i text the guy i bought it from asking if they had any work done. he stated no, just low on fluid, it was a scam auto repair place ( shop was a dodge dealer in Phoenix). they added half a quart of fluid and check out ok. couple days later (4 days after purchase) the van breaks done with trans problems. take it to trans shop and the transmission needs rebuilt. Do i have any legal options????

Unless your sales contract states you have X amount of days to return the vehicle (like Carmax does), unfortunately no, you bought the vehicle "as-is".

Do i have any legal options????

Depends.

I don't have any doubt that he unloaded the van because of the transmission problem.

But was there any specific discussion about the transmission before you bought the van?

In other words, did you say "Any problems with the transmission?" and did he say "No, it's perfect."

If that happened you might be able to go to court and show fraud. Long shot, very.

He had no obligation to volunteer anything so if there was no specific discussion then you have nowhere to go with this.

It sounds like this was a private sale of a used vehicle. Generally, the vehicle would be sold "as is" -- "buyer beware". You could have/should have had it checked out by a mechanic you trust before buying it.

Any vehicle purchased these days with over 50,000 miles on it is a crapshoot.

Back