Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Use of Corporate Credit Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmh1960

I used to work for a company where I was provided with a corporate credit card to pay for expenses.

I started a new role and had to wait nearly 6 weeks for a corporate card to cover very extensive travel costs. During that time I was expected to cover those costs personally and then claim them back, which took at least four weeks. Needless to say, I didn't have enough funds in my personal account to cover this and I stupidly used my OLD corporate card (that at the time I still had in my possession) to pay for these expenses. Since then I repaid the old corporate card in full so there is a zero balance owing, and the card has been destroyed.

Yesterday, I got a call from my old company's HR person who said an audit had been carried out on all Corporate Cards to reconcile the expenses, etc, and it was found that these charges had been made to my credit card after I left the company. I immediately told her the truth, in that I did use the card, but that it was out of sheer desperation/emergency, that I knew it was wrong and I apologized profusely. She told me she was pleased I came clean, but that she then had to send her report to Security, and she hinted at fraud.

What I want to know is, how worried should I be? What are the likely penalties?

The LIKELIHOOD is that no action will be taken except internally. I imagine that you will be marked as ineligible for rehire, and they may, quite legally, notify anyone who applies to them for a reference on you of what happened. Since repayments have been made, it's unlikely that anything further will happen, in my opinion. Please note that my opinion and $2 will get you a cup of coffee.

Worry not, JMH, you can't commit fraud with a card you legitimately possess.

Besides, you don't owe a dime on the card.
You paid the debt in full.

The HR person should stick to HR matters and avoid giving legal advice. If a crime has been committed, the HR rep did it.

I won't bore you and others with the legal definition of fraud,but nothing you did rises to support such an accusation. Good luck with the new job.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

I disagree. OP clearly exceeded the authority he was given with the cards. Though I do not foresee the company pushing the issue, you appear to have broken the law.

Oh dear... I am really worried now. I am guessing that I could be prosecuted. If that was the case, can anyone advise on what penalty I could expect?

Thank you for all answers so far... but I really would like more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back