Criminal Law usa citizen moving to uk with criminal record?help plzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiesimo

Can anyone tell me if a american wants to come to the uk ....will he beable to get into the uk ..as he has a criminal record of assult one time ?can anyone help ?

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE!

How long ago was the conviction?? In the UK there is a spent system that allows you to live you life as a normal person if you have been free of crime for a cetain period of time.
Everyone makes mistakes in life, you do not have to pay forever!!

I think for assalt it is around 5 to 7 years crime free, but that is a guesstimate!!

Beware though!!! The UK and USA are much alike when it comes to immigration! They can seem very stern and do not give way to igronace of the law!

May be worth seeking UK law adviser on this matter. I know of a lot of Travellers who have been turned away from the UK for a lot less.

Good Luck.

Mark

ty for reply

the record was a effeleny ...i think thast how he described it and said that he got done for assult 19yrs ago and its still on his record.....he has been told it wont ever get cleared ...do you think he will get in to the uk with this even though its 19yrs ago ?any advice much appreciated

This is not leagal advice!

He should not have any problems as long as this item was 19 years ago. The UK legal system works on a system of convictions being spent! If they say he has been convicted in the past, tell them you were imformed of the police and criminal rehabilitation act on spent convictions. There is no hard and fast rules on spent convictions but anything over ten years and he should be ok. REMEMBER this is only my verdict! It always pays to speek to an attorney as in the UK know as solicitors. you can find UK solicitors in the yellow pages of the UK. Try www.yell.com

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back