urgent - Medical Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamy

I have a friend who got married February 2009. His wife got pregnant but two months before the delivery date she lost the baby and two months after the loss of the baby she also past away. Yesterday my friend received a phone call and some Medical Bills in the post. She was covered in his insurance but they only pay 80% and he must pay the other 20%. Is he liable for the payment of the medical bills? I think he is because she was on his Insurance and he is the Principal owner of the Insurance but want to make sure.

The other thing that bothers me is the fact that when these people phoned him to tell him that he must pay the bills, the first thing they asked him was to tell them who his employer is, I am pretty sure that, that is illegal and he also refused to tell them where he is working. Can we take them on about this or not.

He also can't pay everything at once because of him having to bury both his child and his wife and att seems like these people don't want to listen to reason, what can we do

Normally with medical bill the spouse can still be liable, so he will probably have to pay this. I doubt he would get too far for them asking his employer. If his insurance is through his job, they may have been verifying the info, otherwise he can simply decline to give them the info, and they can't do anything about it. In fact, I would tell them to send this in the mail, and not to contact him any further over the phone in regards to this matter.

Medical billing is required to accept any reasonable payment arrangement. If he goes to the hospital with hat in hand and show them what has happened, they will work with him. Set up a comfortable payment plan or a 30% settlement which ever he is capable of. They will work with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back