unwed father's rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvinefntsy1009

hi, i have a few questions about my son's rights as an unwed parent. his son is almost 10 months old. he is now paying child support. the mother would let me (grandmother) come and get the baby anytime i wanted but she won't let my son keep him for more than 24hrs at a time because she didn't want the baby around his new girlfriend. i don't know positively if his name is on the birth certificate, he doesn't remember signing one. does he have to go to court to be able to see his son without any supervision? if he's paying child support, doesn't that give him rights as a parent?

Is the child support court ordered? Generally paternity is established if they are unwed and child support and visitation is set up. What does your sons paperwork say, if any?

Unless paternity has been established and he has been given court ordered visitation, unfortunately the mom does not have to cooperate. If she is in violation of any decree though, she can be held in contempt.

So I am unclear by your post whether the CS is through the courts and if there is any set visitation set up.

The father needs to establish paternity (if it has not been done already) and visitation. He probably should look into seeing a family law attorney, or going to the family courts website and see about filing for visitation.

thank you. he has not went to court for anything. he received papers from child support enforcement. and he has been paying ever since then. does he need a lawyer to go to court for this? niether parent has denied who the father is, she wants child support but she won't let him have his son

Paternity

You have to establish paternity before anything will happen. Even if he agrees that he is the father, they (Child Support Office) should want to establish paternity. If he is paying support, he has every right to see that child. If he wants to be in his son's life, push for it. She can't keep him away from him.

Call the support office. Or look for your state's child support guidelines.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back