Unusually High Electric Bill Responsibility

You said it Sir!!

Hawaii, much like many of our states, has suffered immensely.

The people are the ones who are really harmed.

Okay, my landlord and I are still trying to get to the bottom of this. The December electric came in and it's the highest so far, nearly quadruple the average usage now. And this was with me being away for the holidays and vacant for 10 days. I also unplugged all small appliances before leaving. Something is up!!!

My landlord has brought in an independent plumber who tested the hot water heater and determined it was working fine. He took a look at the electric usage and said there would have to be a gushing leak somewhere to affect it in this way. I'm on the 19th floor. There isn't any evidence of leaking in the apartment, or other apartments surrounding...

He also brought in an electrician. He deemed the breaker panel to be fine and installed a timer on the hot water heater. It will turn on for 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening. If I need hot water during the day, I'm outta luck!...

At this point, the apartment has been passed as functioning normally; except for the high usage on the heater breaker. Seems the only option left is theft. But how do we prove this?? We've asked the building management to investigate the electric usage of surrounding apartments, but they are refusing to cooperate. Any other suggestions??

Seems the only option left is theft. But how do we prove this?? We've asked the building management to investigate the electric usage of surrounding apartments, but they are refusing to cooperate. Any other suggestions??

You are asking ALL of the right questions.

You'll have to determine how best to proceed.

If I faced your challenge, I'd consult an electrician on my own and see what he or she suggests.

If I agreed with his or her reasoning, I'd hire the person to investigate why the usage is so high.

I agree, theft seems the most likely reason, if all other options have been discounted.

Back