Unusual Situation - Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSuz18

I have kind of a unique situation and I don't know where to go from here. I have been working for a staffing company for 2 1/2 years. The company offers referral bonuses of $500 for each person that you refer to the company, that is hired, and that works past their 90 day probationary period. The catch is that you cannot collect the bonus for referring someone to your own office. From the time I started, I was told that you could get around this by having someone else in another office turn in the form for you and then they would give you the money.

A woman in another office approached me about a year ago and asked me to do this for her. I had no problem doing it, as the referral form was easy. I received a check about 5 days after the new employees' probationary period was over. I deposited it and wrote a personal check to the woman who referred her.

Then in July 2005, I referred someone for my office. In return, I had asked the same woman who asked me, if she would turn in the form for me. She agreed and when the 90 days past, she said that she had received the check and deposited it, but didn't bring her personal checkbook with her to work and would do so tomorrow. Then the next day, she said that she forgot again and blamed her kids for making her rush out of the door. I waited a few days before I approached her again about this, not wanting to be too pushy. I sent her e-mails and she always said that something had come up.

About a week ago, I left the company to persue other opportunities. However, I have kept in touch with her through e-mail. Last week, she said that she had forgotten her checkbook again, so I gave her my address and asked her to mail it to me. Yesterday was a week and I have received nothing. Since then, I have sent e-mails and called her office. She has not responded to any e-mails and she will not take my calls, always coming up with some excuse.

I feel like I want to file a suit against her in small claims court. I have kept all of the documentation from back when we first talked about her putting in the request and they clearly show that she knew that she was going to turn in the request for me and then give me the money. Is it something that could win, because it was a deal that was made against company policy?? Is it even worth going to court?? I just don't want her to get away with getting 2 referral bonuses and me nothing.

She probably has no intention of giving you the money. The grown up mature thing to do would be to forget about it and move on.

I would ask her one last time for half of it, that way you both can split it 50/50.

If she still does not pay up, since you no longer work there you can let management and HR know she broke company policy by doing this. Let her know that you have a trail of all the emails and that you intend on forwarding them to HR. I would only do this if she still refuses to pay you.

That would be revenge. Is it appropriate to do? Probably not, but you do not have much to lose since you no longer work there.

She backed out of an agreement which is a crappy thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back