Unusual Situation - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamen

I was unsure exactly as to where to post this, but this part of the forum seemed the best fit. Here is my situation and story.

I currently am renting a condo in Michigan and yesterday morning a gentleman came to my door from a company called J. M. Adjustment Services, LLC in attempt at reaching my landlord on behalf of Comerica Bank. I complied with what he requested and confirmed that her new address and phone numbers were correct.

The guy then told me and I quote "Now I am not supposed to legally tell you this, but you should seriously begin looking for a new place to live because this place is going to be foreclosed and repossessed in 9 days and anyone living here will be evicted and anything left inside will become property of the bank to help pay off whatever debt she has."

After he left I immediately contacted my landlord and explained in detail what had just happened. She looked in to it and got back with me later in the day telling me not to worry and that the house wasn't getting repossessed and the guy was simply there to get a signature stating her address change was legit. Furious that he lied to me and pretty much harassed me with false statements that we were going to be evicted I called their company to voice my concerns and a file a complaint. Shortly after I received a phone call back from the owner of J. M. Adjustment Services who was anything, but nice. He demanded that I apologize to him and admit that I was lying for saying what I said about his employee Lou who has been there for 11 years. The thing is I have a witness who was on the phone with me who overheard every single thing that was being said and will confirm that I was in fact being truthful. He continued to not listen to a word I was saying about what had happened or even attempt to believe a single thing that I was able to get in. His attitude was extremely rude and uncalled for and his "faithful employee" Lou should have never disclosed that information with me and what makes it worse is he was lying about it all. I ended up spending the rest of the day waiting to hear back from my landlord to see what was going on as well as starting to look for a new apartment or condo my fiancé and I could move in to on short notice.

What Lou did was not only wrong, but extremely disgraceful as well to put innocent bystanders in harms way like that. Is there anything I can do on a legal standpoint for what he and his company said and did?

Report them to BBB and the State Attorney General's Office. Also, have your landlord file a complaint with the FTC - http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/cmplanding.shtm and you file one too. Never give anyone any information about yourself or another person (unless law enforcement). Just good practice in these dangerous times we live.

Another thing, a company cannot do the things he said to tenents and their belongings. They have to follow the same laws as a landlord.

I have already submitted a complaint to the BBB and doing one now for the FTC now. But should I contact a local lawyer and file papers with them for the gentlemans false info/harassment?

It wasn't criminal, you answered the door and agreed to answer his questions. Lying isn't a criminal offense; you didn't lose any money to sue for, so why would you contact a lawyer? NOW, the landlord could, because if tenets started to move out and she lost income, etc, then she would have a case, but at this point you don't have one. And, another thing to consider is it's your word against the gentleman's. Don't forget to file one with State Attoney's General Office and landlord should do the same and any other tenets he contacted.

Well I did actually lose out on half a days pay because I was home on my lunch when he came and ended up taking the rest of the day off because of the entire situation. And like I said I do have a witness as to what was and was not said so it is more than my word verses his. I just want to do everything in my power that I can to send these guys a message that doing what they did is just extremely unethical and wrong. As for filing with the State Attoney General I will do that the first chance I get tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back