Unsafe living conditions grounds for early lease termination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artlady

I have a 12 month lease and have spotless rental history. I've always paid my rent early and been a respectful tenant and neighbor. About a month ago a transient man began to break into my apartment while violently threatening me, luckily police arrived before any damage was done (besides emotional damage that is) to my apartment or physical being. Unfortunately, the tresspasser couldn't be arressted due to the fact that the landlord, who is very aloof and non-responsive, could not be reached to establish that the transient was officially tresspassing. So the man got off on a police threat of being arressted if he were ever caught on the property again and ran off.

Recently the same man has been hanging around my apartment building again, lurking in the dark. Needless to say I feel threatened and unsafe. I have called the police two nights in a row about this man. Unfortunately both times I called them, by the time they arrived the man was already gone. I sleep with a knife at my bedside and wish to terminate my lease. Does my story stand up? I absolutely cannot continue living in this space. What should I do? Help!!!

Thanks,
Art Lady

This problem is not of your Landlord's making and thus not a breach. If you break lease Landlord can hold you accountable for full rent until he rerents Apartment. Note if he has other empty Apartments he can choose to fill them first. If you want out discuss this with Landlord and perhaps an agreement can be reached. Expect it to cost you some money. If he does agree get agreement in writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back