Unprovoked attack at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

micplo

My jurisdiction is: North Carolina

Directly across the street from our home is a group home for mentally disabled men. There are five or six men who are cared for around-the-clock by various caregivers. On March 21 2009, I was leaving my home to attend opening day events for my sons baseball team. As I was making my way up my driveway to my truck I could see one of the men from the home head-butting the car of one of the attendants. He was intent on destroying anything he could get his hands on. Three female caregivers were surounding the man at a safe distance. The man finished his rampage on the car and turned towards me and ran up my driveway to the rear of my truck. He then began jerking vigorously on the tail-gate of the truck. Once he sprang the tail-gate he attempted to remove materials I had purchased the previous day for the purpose of completing a construction project. Fearful that he would break them I yelled "Whoa, stop. Don't do that!" The man then came around my truck and before I could get away, he grabbed me. We began to wrestle and he made attempts to bite, kick and punch me. The three woman caregivers did nothing to assist me until they had retrieved and donned latex gloves, as the man was covered in his own blood. After restraining the man two of the female workers helped by each sitting on an arm. The police were called and responded minutes later and were able to convince the man to stop his assault by threatening him with a taser. The only property damage I sustained was a broken cell phone and a stretched shirt sleeve. But, I am a former Marine. It still took every ounce of strength to subdue this man. If it were someone else, my 8 year old, my wife, the outcome could have been very much different.
What are my options? I don't want to live across from them any longer. Can I make them buy my home or pay me to move somewhere else?

Can I make them buy my home or pay me to move somewhere else?

Nope. Politically, the home might be motivated to come to some sort of settlement. Legally, they are under not under any obligation to buy your house because you don't want to live there.

You could possibly sue for the assailant for assault or the home for some type of negligence. Do you know who runs the institution? If it's state-run, it might be immune from civil suit. I suggest you consult a local lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back