Unpaved road. Petition ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcollison

My wife and I purchased a home on a dirt road in Maryland in 2003. I did extensive research before buying and the road was on the paved road program since 1996:yes:. So we purchased the property and 6 months later a neighbor knocked on my door with a petition to pave our road. I told him the road was already on the list to be paved. He then in informed me the state of Maryland (Caroline county) took it off the road paving list. This was very disturbing as the potential value of my home plummeted (meaning it would be impossible to sell the home:eek:). My house is still on the market in 2009 and every potential buyer had told me my house is perfect but they will not buy a home on a dirt road. I only bought the property because the state of Maryland was going to pave the road. Can I use legal action against the state of Maryland or Caroline county to mitigate my lose?

Probably not. The state may have immunity from this lawsuit. If they are not, you might have to prove they had some duty to pave your road or not remove it from the list. Those are policy decisions and government departments are often not liable for policy decisions. I would consult a local attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back