Prison, Jail unpaid jail bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

cillyone

I just walked 3 and a half yrs of probation with no
violations and I have a $4200 jail bill and the judge extended my probation for another yr. Im due to see him again to see if ive paid it.
Its been sent to collections already and he wants it anyway and has said he can send me away for 7yrs. Can you go to prison for an unpaid jail bill in Missouri?

I just walked 3 and a half yrs of probation with no
violations and I have a $4200 jail bill and the judge extended my probation for another yr. Im due to see him again to see if ive paid it.
Its been sent to collections already and he wants it anyway and has said he can send me away for 7yrs. Can you go to prison for an unpaid jail bill in Missouri?

You don't go to jail for 7 years. You go to prison.

You wouldn't go to prison for 7 years because you owe the state money.

If you were ordered to pay fines, fees, costs, victim compensation, etc..., chose not pay the state their money, you could end up in prison for not completing each and every term of your probation. Probation is actually a contract between you and judge, as well as a legal court order. You could have spent 4 years in prison, never doing one day of probation. Probation was at the Judge's discretion, generally.

I suggest you appear as ordered, plead not guilty, ask for a public defender, consult with the public defender about your options. Be advised, they are few at this point. You might also get your affairs in order. A long trip might be in your future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back