Unlicensed, uninspected home

Justinlinley

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My grandmother has been renting an uninspected home from my mother and step father for some time now. Neither of them hold a renters license. My grandmother is charged 400 a month for a place that was literally thrown together with whatever material they had at the time and I know the electrical, plumbing, and several other things won't pass inspection. I want to get my grandmother out of this situation. Who could I call or get in touch with to come inspect and help get my grandmother out of there?

Who could I call or get in touch with to come inspect and help get my grandmother out of there?

You contact the county or the city building inspectors, and/or the county or cith health department.

If granny is old enough (grannies today start around 35 years of age), as in a true senior citizen the state department on seniors or the aged might be a resource.

My grandmother has been renting an uninspected home from my mother and step father for some time now.

"Uninspected"? Why would anyone inspect the home?

Neither of them hold a renters license.

I did an admittedly quick and cursory google search and found no indication that landlords in Georgia need to have any sort of license. Is there some reason why you think such any sort of license is needed?

I want to get my grandmother out of this situation. Who could I call or get in touch with to come inspect and help get my grandmother out of there?

You cannot legally "get [your] grandmother out of this situation" unless she wants to leave. Does she want to leave? If so, why doesn't she just move? You're free to help her move. If she doesn't want to leave and you call someone who tells her she can't legally live there, then you're basically forcing her out of her home. That would be a pretty crappy thing to do without discussing it with her first.

Back