Unlawful transfer of ownership

Laurie Landmark

Jurisdiction
Arizona
My fiancé transferred the title of both his vehicles to me two months before he passed away. The titles were signed and notarized in person at the time of the transfer. After his passing, I was told by his son's attorney that the titles were no longer in my name and were put back into my fiancé's name. How is that possible?

Apparently you did not take the titles to the DMV and get new titles in your own name.

The son probably got duplicates because DMV records were still in his father's name.

Now they are being probated so your titles aren't likely to be accepted by the DMV if you tried to get new titles now.

My fiancé transferred the title of both his vehicles to me two months before he passed away. The titles were signed and notarized in person at the time of the transfer. After his passing, I was told by his son's attorney that the titles were no longer in my name and were put back into my fiancé's name. How is that possible?

First, you need to find out if that is even true that they were transferred back.

First, you need to find out if that is even true that they were transferred back.

Good point.

Laurie, take them to the DMV to check on that. If they can be transferred to you the DMV will require documentation that you have insurance on both cars and current emissions tests.

Apparently you did not take the titles to the DMV and get new titles in your own name.

The son probably got duplicates because DMV records were still in his father's name.

Now they are being probated so your titles aren't likely to be accepted by the DMV if you tried to get new titles now.
No, they had been in my name for 2 months already because the owner and I went together and had them done together as I said the vehicles were transferred into my name two months prior to his death

In your name? As in you have new titles with your name as owner of the two vehicles and the date that the titles were issued were prior to his death?

If yes, then there was likely nothing unlawful about the gifts.

But I still suggest you check the DMV and confirm ownership. You should be able to do that online at:

AZ MVD Now

You'll have to set up an account. There are instructions on that page.

My fiancé transferred the title of both his vehicles to me two months before he passed away. The titles were signed and notarized in person at the time of the transfer.

Did you take the signed title transfer documents to the DMV and file them? If not, why not?

I was told by his son's attorney that the titles were no longer in my name and were put back into my fiancé's name. How is that possible?

We could make guesses, but we can't possibly know with any certainty.

Did the son provide any evidence to support his assertion?

Has the son been appointed by the probate court as administrator/executor of his father's estate?

Did your fiancé have a will and, if so, did his will provide that you will receive any portion of his estate?

the owner and I went together and had them done together

The owner? Meaning your fiancé? Went where together?

Back