Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Unknowingly Consumed Alcohol, Given MIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctfalk

I'm an 18 year old resident and student in Michigan. I went to Hope College's Homecoming formal with some friends who attend Hope (I attend GVSU), keep in mind Hope is a dry campus, and when I was at the formal I got some refreshments. I wasn't really worried about anything because I assumed that this formal would be supervised according to their No Alcohol stance. I started to get really dizzy and nauseous and left the formal trying to locate a few of my friends who had left about half an hour before I did. I became severely disoriented and sat down on a campus bench where I was resting trying to regain control. Police showed up and asked what was going on, I explained to them the best I could that I do not drink but that something was clearly wrong and I believed to have been served spiked drinks. I also voiced my concern that this did not feel right and I was worried about possible roofie or some drug in the drink as well. They requested a breathalyzer for BAC and I obliged, I blew around a .12 and the officer informed me that the had contacted paramedics and an ambulance was on its way, as well that I was to receive a MIP. He explained I would have a court date to try and sort it out. This is my first ever offense.

What I am curious about is can/will this MIP stick even though I was not intending/responsible for my subsequent intoxication? I am certainly not denying that I was intoxicated but I as well did not have any hand in becoming that way?

Court Date Oct. 21

P.S. At the hospital they did do blood work to confirm that I was indeed intoxicated, however despite my repeated voiced concerns I do not believe they did any tests to determine if there were any drugs involved as well.

Holland Michigan is an extremely conservative area, as you well know. However, under these circumstances it seems if you get a decent defense attorney and a compassionate prosecutor it will help a great deal.

.12 is high. .08 is OUIL in the entire nation, but even lower than that can get you busted for alcohol.

To let you know how high it is, a 170 lb. male would have to drink about 6 beers instantaneously 20 minutes before the test. You may find that your breath test and your blood test are different. It will be interesting to see what blood results you get. A defense attorney may also try to test the blood for drugs, but it's hard to know how helpful that would be, as you aren't exactly pressing charges against some nefarious individual.

How much "punch" did you have? For example, I mention 6 beers, that's 4% or higher alcohol in 72 OUNCES!

Good luck to you.

Well with fall weather in Michigan it gets pretty chilly at night and we all had to walk about five blocks or so to get to the Formal so I was wearing a dinner jacket, vest, medium weight dress shirt, and undershirt. So while I was okay taking off the diner jacket, I wasn't too keen on leaving articles of clothing all over the place where they might have been taken either by accident or on purpose, now with all that on and in a smaller sized dining hall with a hundred some students all dancing packed close together it got rather hot rather quickly. I got parched and didn't want to get dehydration sickness so I headed over to where the refreshment station was set up and had five or six cups.

On your other note, how much will a defense attorney help this situation. Is it absolutely imperative that I get one or is it just an extra precaution? I don't know I'm kind of placing good faith in the judicial system in that they will see I was taken advantage of and not some frat boy looking for mischief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back