Unknowing selling motorcycle with salvage title

Aerby

Hello. I live in Maryland and I sold a motorcycle on Craigslist. Buyer paid and I signed title. No bill of sale.Buyer contacted me and stated he wanted refund due to title being salvage before I purchased it. I bought the bike 4-5 years ago and it went through inspection and nothing on the title stated that. This was the first I ever heard about it. What should I do. Am I obligated to return money. I spent already

Hello. I live in Maryland and I sold a motorcycle on Craigslist. Buyer paid and I signed title. No bill of sale.Buyer contacted me and stated he wanted refund due to title being salvage before I purchased it. I bought the bike 4-5 years ago and it went through inspection and nothing on the title stated that. This was the first I ever heard about it. What should I do. Am I obligated to return money. I spent already

You don't have to return the money, but if you don't, be prepared to be sued.
Be prepared to be exposed, because as you describe events, you've likely broken a couple or three of their laws.

Even if you lose in court, if you are sued, all the buyer will receive is a judgment which he will then have to endeavor to collect.
Usually that means he can attempt to have your wages attached, or your bank account(s) levied against.

But, you could have criminal charges lodged against you.

The other issue is selling a salvage vehicle.
Dude, there is a paper trail that will prove you had the vehicle for five years, or five days.
The latter could be a big problem for you.

Here is the pink elephant in the room for you.

All vehicles that have been issued a salvage title in Maryland and offered for sale, the seller MUST inform the buyer of the vehicle PRIOR to the purchase being consummated, that the vehicle has a salvage title.

In MD, you can't even drive such vehicles unless you do many, many things to remedy the salvage title.

Some reading on salvage vehicles and titling:

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/INFO/27300/27300-42T.htm

http://www.dmv.org/md-maryland/salvaged-vehicles.php

1st I would want to see what "evidence" he has that the bike was salvaged, if your title was not branded as such.

Whatever evidence the buyer has was available to the buyer before the sale. No matter what he has it won't obligate the seller to do anything.

Back