University negligence

B

Birdman93

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My son was invited by the soccer coaching staff for an official visit to a university as a soccer recruit. My son is seventeen years old. My wife an I drove him to the university and toured the campus. After the campus tour we met with the assistant coach of the soccer team. Our son then practiced with the rest of the current team players. After the practice the assistant coach introduce us to a few of the existing players on the team. The assistant coach wanted our son to spend the night at the university with the other players in their dorm rooms. We spent the night in the same town in a hotel room and were told we should pick our son up the next day at noon at the university. At 2am the next morning in the middle of the night we were called by the local emergency room asking permission to treat our soon for intoxication. Our son went with other players to a "soccer house" on campus and drank until he was intoxicated. I wen to the emergency room to pick him up the head coach was there. We had no idea there would be absolutely no adult supervision through the nigh that put our son at huge risk. Our son did take personal responsibility, but he is seventeen and was placed in a situation that clouded his judgement I believe. Be took a breath analyzer test at the dorm and he blew a .209. Now the coaching staff has not called back and I believe they have affected his ability to secure a scholarship due to their lack of oversight to recruits and placed my son at risk with underage drinking on campus. Do I have a case of negligence by the university?

No, you do not have any case against the university. They did not supply your child with alcohol. I am not sure why you thought the coach would be babysitting the players in the dorms or staying the night with your son, but that was an unrealistic expectation. It was also a bit naïve to think he would spend the night in the dorm playing checkers, but I would take the opportunity to discuss your expectations with your son. If he is going to college in a few months, I promise you that he will have the opportunity to consume alcohol again.

If your son showed poor judgment by drinking under age to the point medical intervention was required, I can totally understand why the coach would not trust him to be on the team. They want players who are going to be reliable and can conduct themselves as adults, not players who must be monitored or may not be able to play due to partying too much.

My son was invited by the soccer coaching staff for an official visit to a university as a soccer recruit. My son is seventeen years old. My wife an I drove him to the university and toured the campus. After the campus tour we met with the assistant coach of the soccer team. Our son then practiced with the rest of the current team players. After the practice the assistant coach introduce us to a few of the existing players on the team. The assistant coach wanted our son to spend the night at the university with the other players in their dorm rooms. We spent the night in the same town in a hotel room and were told we should pick our son up the next day at noon at the university. At 2am the next morning in the middle of the night we were called by the local emergency room asking permission to treat our soon for intoxication. Our son went with other players to a "soccer house" on campus and drank until he was intoxicated. I wen to the emergency room to pick him up the head coach was there. We had no idea there would be absolutely no adult supervision through the nigh that put our son at huge risk. Our son did take personal responsibility, but he is seventeen and was placed in a situation that clouded his judgement I believe. Be took a breath analyzer test at the dorm and he blew a .209. Now the coaching staff has not called back and I believe they have affected his ability to secure a scholarship due to their lack of oversight to recruits and placed my son at risk with underage drinking on campus. Do I have a case of negligence by the university?

Sad story, but counsel your son, send him to alcohol abuse counseling BEFORE this becomes an addiction, or worse.

As unfortunate as the episode may have been, you can help him use it as a very valuable object lesson.

My children called me "NO Dad", or NO Pops", because my usual answer to their ridiculous requests was always a resounding "NO".

Today, each of them has spoken with me at length about NO.
They got it, and have applied it as they raise my grandchildren.

All kids do stupid things, and its up to you and his father to help him work through this.

Furthermore, he needs to understand just how close he came to meeting St. Peter.

I wish your family all the best as you work through this latest issue, that didn't kill your son.

God bless.

Back