University Internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfmatt

Hello.

I am a student at a private university in Washington, DC, and I use the internet service provided by the school. I was wondering what the university's powers are regarding what sites/services I access through their Internet connection.

I haven't done anything to get in trouble yet, and I don't really plan to, but I was curious and haven't managed to find a good answer anywhere.

Hello.

I am a student at a private university in Washington, DC, and I use the internet service provided by the school. I was wondering what the university's powers are regarding what sites/services I access through their Internet connection.

I haven't done anything to get in trouble yet, and I don't really plan to, but I was curious and haven't managed to find a good answer anywhere.

Read your TOS. All you desire to know about this is shown in your TOS agreement.

Generally, certain websites can be restricted.

You must not break any laws when using their services.

You probably can't use the access provided by the Uni for your commercial gain.

You also agree to not introduce harmful programs to their site (viruses).

Last edited:
That's about what I figured, but I was more wondering if there's any legal history involved here. They can say whatever they want in their TOS, but whether they can actually enforce it may or may not be a different story (I know essentially nothing about law), especially in regards to blocking websites.

Thanks for the reply, though!

The school can do whatever it wants - you are not required to use their Internet services. You can use your mobile phone, go to Starbucks or use an Internet Cafe. It's the same with the library - they can choose not to carry certain books. Perhaps the answer might be different if the school violates civil rights, e.g. doesn't allow people to surf sites based upon race, color or creed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back