Uninsured son being purused for $$

Status
Not open for further replies.

kejace

My 19 yo stepson had an accident (totally his fault) and found out his insurance had lapsed. He's not real good with money. He lives on his own, in another state, so I am not involved at all, just trying to help him out.

The girl he rearended had uninsured motorist coverage. However, her insurance company is pursuing my son for $3,200. He already paid out of pocket for her deductable and rental car costs (about $750). He also paid traffic fines, and added points to his license for both reckless driving and driving without insurance. He is now broke.

Question: Is this just an attempt by the insurance company to recover their costs, or is he legally obligated to pay this? I though the whole idea behind uninsured motorist coverage was that the insurance company pays this.

He is considering letting it go into collection so maybe he can negotiate a lower amount. I told him he should try to negotiate with the insurance company, but like I said he is totally broke now.

This occurred in Connecticut. I appreciate any insight.

kejace

Generally uninsured motorist only covers bodily injury, not property damage. Try to get a copy of the other persons insurance policy to vewrify. That will also state the process they use to collect damages from the uninsured. So your son would still be on the hook for the damages to the car he damaged.
Why did he pay out of pocket for the rental and deductable? I think its admirable that he did, but was it due to a subrogation demand, or on his own will?
The insurance company will try to subrogate your son for the damages to the vehicle. They have to be proven damages, so if in doubt, request a copy of the repair bill. The bill will probably be legit as insurance companies usually pay as little as possible to get the job done.
I would try and set up a payment plan with the insurance company. I think it will be cheaper, wont show up on his credit report, and wont collect the interest it would in a collection agency.

Hopefully he has learned an expensive lesson on what happens when you drive without insurance. The insurance company is going to go after him for re-imbursement. He can try to settle but they do not have to take any settlement and can sue him for the amount.

Some states will suspend his license until he pays. You may want to check the laws in your state and also where he lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back