uninsured motorist totaled my vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rraley

I was involved in an auto accident that totaled my vehicle. The "at fault" driver was given 2 citations. She was also uninsured and age 17 at the time of the accident. The policy she had was in the name of her guardians and had been cancelled by the insurance company for non-payment. My uninsured motorist coverage barely covered my medical bills and not the loss of my vehicle. My vehicle had a fair market value of approximately $10,000, so I am completely at a loss here. I have since found out that the guardians of the minor who caused the accident own an $800,000 home as well as two profitable businesses locally. It was their insurance policy that had been terminated. The 17 year old that caused the accident was a driver on their policy.

I understand that there is no insurance claim to pursue, however I would like to know if there is some type of property damage suit or some way to file suit against the guardians for the 17 year old's negligent actions? I would like to recover the $10,000 that my vehicle was worth.

Additionally, I believe the statute of limitations for me to file claim will be up on 04/07/2009. I have contacted personal injury lawyers locally, but none want to take on the case since there is no insurance company to go after.

Thank you.

Last edited:
You might have better luck just suing in small claims court for the max you are allowed. The minor has no assets to go after and her guardians assets are probably limited so you can go after them. Once you get a judgement you'll have to research how to collect but you can file a lien against the home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back