Unfair Advantage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethsmom

My ex boyfriend and I are going to court for child and visitation orders. I filed the motion, and our hearing was this last week. I got served in the mail an hour before the hearing, and didn't say anything because according to the papers we were given, he had until that day to serve. I was completely thrown off. Once the judge started speaking, he told the father that he understands a lot of the points he said, and mentioned some things he put in his declaration. I was nervous, and upset, and thought I hadn't read something, because I didn't recognize what they were talking about. I should have said something but I felt like a deer in headlights. Once the hearing was over, I went outside and looked at the forms again, I did not receive a declaration, and I can't view my file until later this week. I've tried contacting the person who served, my son's grandfather, but he hasn't responded. If there is something in the file that was not served to me, which I'm pretty sure there was now, can I file something with the courts? In the hearing, we worked out visitation from now until the next hearing, which is on the 28th. The father put no explanation in what I received for his history of being unable to care for our son, or the domestic violence restratining order I have against him. I was pretty unwilling, because I had no answer about these issues, to agree to anything except professional supervised visitation, which is what he was granted. I think if he had served me with something going into more detailed, I would have agreed to it being supervised by someone we both know. I think the judge thought I was being difficult. Truth is, I didn't get whatever it is he read, I'm pretty sure. If I am right, what can I do? I feel like my ex had an unfair advantage for not serving me with everything, and in the last minute. Where do I stand legally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back