Unetical Attorney

Status
Not open for further replies.

llp806

My brother, sister and I retained an probate attorney in May of 2006 after my father died in a motorcycle accident. We retained him for $1000. It takes him weeks to return our phone calls when we have questions. He did not contact any of my fathers creditors to try to settle any account, my sister finally did, she paid the accounts and sent the information to probate. We had a court date in September 2008 that he did not show up for. His reason was there is a release of claims that my step-sister has to sign and he said we still owe him $1700. We paid him the $1700. There was another court date in October of 2008 he did show up for that but he still has not had my step-sister sign the release of claims. Today we received another bill for $500 and he stated he will not proceed until we pay that. We are very confused on what all this charges are for and like I stated early he does not return our phone calls. He refuses to speak with my sister and stated in a letter to us a year ago if we are unhappy with him we can retain another attorney. We live in Michigan and this is being done in Knox County, Tennessee, where my father lived and died. Is there anything we can do??!!

You can retain another attorney. You can also ask for an itemized statement of account so you can see what all the charges are for. If you think the bill is unreasonable, you can challenge it in court. You can also tell him you disagree with it, without going to court, and offer him something less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back