Consumer Law, Warranties Unethical moving company

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew216

Hello all,
I am currently in a situation with a moving company that I had hired for a move from Winter Park, FL to Cleveland, OH. The original quote for the move was $1050 and was to be picked up on Dec. 13, 2007 and delivered within 14 business days. My father opened the storage unit in FL because I was unable to be present. After the truck was half loaded with my household goods, the driver told my father that he would not move anything else until he signed paperwork. My father called me and told me this situation. I spoke with the driver over the phone and was told that the new estimate was for $1665. I called the company assistant manager and she assured me that the shipment would be weighed and then I would be given a final price derived from the D.O.T. weight ticket. This obviously put me at ease. Today, Jan. 8, 2008, I still have not received my goods. In speaking with both the dispatcher and the assistant manager I have found that they are using an affiliate company to move my goods. I am now being told that the estimate of $1665 will be used as the final price and that the goods will not be weighed. The base and affiliate company are now stating that the quote signed by my father was solid and that it is binding. I, first and foremost, gave my father access to the storage unit and moving process, not the conditions of the contract. Second, I was given faulty information numerous times regarding how this process was to unfold. Is this even legal? The company I hired is located in Delaware, but I am not sure where the affiliate is based; I'm assuming FL. Somebody please help. I'm getting scammed and can't afford this after being honorably discharged from the USAF and becoming a student again. Thanks in advance.
-Andy

I would start by making a police report and locating my property. I would then consult an attorney and file suit against this company..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back