Unemployment Insurance Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

chingy

I was laid off because part of the company was sold off. Then all of the sudden my company had a change of heart probably when they realized what they would have to pay for unemployment because nothing changed with the amount of work we had. How can I go back to an unstable job that could either lay me off whenever they feel the need or just look for a reason to let me go without paying me unemployment? And if I decline to go back to my position I believe I will be ineligible for unemployment although they fired me. How can I have piece of mind working for such a company. I would much rather spend the next month or so looking for a more stable job while collecting unemployment to pay my bills. They are the ones that fired me hastily so why should I be denied my unemployment benefits because of their mistake? Am I sure to lose my employment benefits for not taking my job back? Can an employer just let you go any time they wake up and think they might not need you? Is there anything I can do??? Thanks.

Unless you are in Montana (and not always then) or have a bona fide employment contract or CBA that specifically guarantees employment for a particular length of time, your employment is at-will, meaning that either you or the employer can end the employment relationship at any time and for any reason that does not specifically violate the law.

If you turn down available work you will almost certainly not qualify for unemployment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back