undisclosed shared well

shilorx

Jurisdiction
Indiana
Hello, thank you in advance. I purchased a home in Nov 15 the disclosures indicated a private well I had pressure issues so I cled a well company to investigate after $1000 in repairs, pressure tank and replacement of all exposed and rusted to imminent failure galvanized pipe the well company left with all systems given a repaired and running appropriately bill of health 4 days after the repairs, the neighbor calls with an emergency asking permission to turn off my well because my well was flooding their crawl space they indicated the previous owner of my house had told them they allowed their relative to tap into the well to provide water as they could not afford a new well apparently, when a well was drilled, the only thing done in the pump well was a cross valve turned off, the line had never been capped when the well company replaced the pipes, they did not install a valve so the water ran non stop until it was noticed by the neighbor there was water in their crawl space now the neighbor is saying I am responsible for the water damaged caused by an improperly capped shared well there are no well agreements and the person who sold the house to me knew it had a shared well but did not disclose this important information to me am I legally responsible for this damage or is it the precious owner, well company or the current owners of the house across the street for not disconnecting the line appropriately when their new well was drilled?
Thank you

I'm inclined to say that the people next door who tapped into your well are responsible for the flooding.
Contact your homeowners insurance and see what they tell you.

Back