Undisclosed Income of Former Spouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastCoastMom

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

My fiancee was recently served with a Notice of Deficiency from the IRS. His former wife did not disclose a retirement acct with 14k in it. She took the 14k out and purchased a new car for herself post divorce, but never claimed them on the taxes. They had to file jointly for that year and now my guy is getting the notices of deficiency as well.

Is my guy responsible even though the divorce decree states that they bear no responsibility of the former spouse's debts?

He has attempted to contact the former spouse via regular mail and certified mail to no avail.

The date is looming quickly (2/13/08). Any ideas if this should be fought in family court with a Motion to Enforce Litigants Rights? Any other ideas????

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Who's name was that account in? What were the terms of the account....Did she pull the money early? What does the divorce decree say regarding this property? Was this asset disclosed during the divorce preceedings? Did the subject of taxes even come in to play during the divorce precedings........you need to be specific if you want advise!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back