Undisclosed facts about neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MH77

We recently relocated to Tennessee, and purchased a new home. Things looked like they were working out just fine.
At face value, everything looked great, and the home itself is a nice house. However we discovered shortly (within 2 weeks or so) of moving in that we have a sex offender living nearby on the street. We were informed by several of our new neighbors.
We had looked at the TBI website prior to purchasing, and he was not listed as his offense was prior to 1997. We did not see any offenders listed in the neighborhood.
The seller did not disclose this fact, nor did either of the two real estate agents involved in the transaction. If the neighbors knew, I'm sure the builder knew.
Do we have any recourse for this problem

Probably not. I do not believe that the realtor is required to disclose this or the seller. It's also possible neither knew. Not all sex offenders are required to register. It depends on the crime and if they are level 1, 2 or 3.

Unfortunately there are sex offenders everywhere. They exist in just about every zip code.

So if this person is not required to register, then how does anyone know this person lives nearby?

Probably not. I do not believe that the realtor is required to disclose this or the seller. It's also possible neither knew. Not all sex offenders are required to register. It depends on the crime and if they are level 1, 2 or 3.

Unfortunately there are sex offenders everywhere. They exist in just about every zip code.

So if this person is not required to register, then how does anyone know this person lives nearby?

Yes, how is it that the neighbors knew but no one else did?:angel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back