Undercompensated

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdpedal

I took a position 6 month ago with a 6 month probationary period of which I am no longer within as of today. When I was hired I was told by the Personnel Board that my family would get healthcare benefits. After taking the job, I only have the benefits and my wife and kids do not. I was also told that there was a strict budget reduction and that my new position would have specific duties to represent the salary. After 3 weeks of employment I discovered that others in similar positions were making 20-30% more. In fear of being within the probationary time frame I have yet to confront the board. I've also been deligated about 40% more work since originally hired under a boiler plate guise that the work is applicable to my position, but it is not. I've never been in a situation like this before and I do not know what to do. I enjoy my job, but I feel undercompensate, underappreciatted and overworked. Can anyone offer some wisdom? Thank you.

If you meet the criteria for eligibility for family coverage under the plan rules, it would be (at least for medical insurance) a violation of ERISA for them not to offer you the opportunity to enroll your family. Have you spoken to HR/Benefits about this? What do they say?

"Board"? What type of employer is this?

Having said that, unless you have a bona fide contract for a specific salary and specific duties, the employer can pay you whatever you agreed to, and assign you whatever duties they wish, as long as such duties are not illegal or unsafe. Maybe the other employees have been there longer, have more applicable education or experience in the particular job, or were just better negotiators.

Millions of employees feel undercompensated, underappreciated AND are overworked. Nothing in your post indicates that any of this is illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back