Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Underage Possession of Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

insidecenter

Hello.
This past weekend, my friends and I went down to Virginia to visit other friends at James Madison U. Saturday night, one of my friends and I walked out of a party right into a cop. He said he needs to see some identification and asked if we were under 21. We are both 20 years old and I turn 21 this Friday, yes six days after this event. But we did comply and gave him our licenses. He wrote down the wrong addresses and had one non legible number for my license. He also said we both live in VA and my drivers license state was VA, but he crossed that out and put pa. We are both from Pennsylvania. We've never been to VA and do not plan on going back. We got a court summons and a court date in late april. Is there any way to somehow get out of going to court and get out of going back to VA at all? This is our first offenses ever.

Hello.
This past weekend, my friends and I went down to Virginia to visit other friends at James Madison U. Saturday night, one of my friends and I walked out of a party right into a cop. He said he needs to see some identification and asked if we were under 21. We are both 20 years old and I turn 21 this Friday, yes six days after this event. But we did comply and gave him our licenses. He wrote down the wrong addresses and had one non legible number for my license. He also said we both live in VA and my drivers license state was VA, but he crossed that out and put pa. We are both from Pennsylvania. We've never been to VA and do not plan on going back. We got a court summons and a court date in late april. Is there any way to somehow get out of going to court and get out of going back to VA at all? This is our first offenses ever.

If the events are as you describe them, the officer seems to have made a few mistakes. One might see that as him trying to do his job, and help you.

But, if they figure things out, and you IGNORE the summons; you'll catch more charges. Most likely you'll get a bench warrant. Those things never die.

One day when you least expect it, you'll get arrested. In the meantime, your drivers license will be suspended.

Don't buy yourselves additional trouble. Call the court and ask if you can plead nolo contendre, pay a fine, and get rid of this matter? Or, ask, if you qualify for a deferred sentencing. That will allow you to pay a fine, let 90 days (or so) pass, and this matter will be dismissed. It'll be gone, zapped away. That is, IF you stay out of additional legal troubles (including traffic tickets).

Otherwise, get ready for a road trip back to JMU. But, don't just ignore the legal process, it just doesn't ordinarily disappear; without some affirmative act on your part!

Thank you very much. I will call in the near future to see if they will allow that. Also, since there are mistakes on my summons, will there be any way to fault the cop with this? aka.. maybe take this away for wrong information? I'm new with all of this legal stuff so any advice is help.

Thank you very much. I will call in the near future to see if they will allow that. Also, since there are mistakes on my summons, will there be any way to fault the cop with this? aka.. maybe take this away for wrong information? I'm new with all of this legal stuff so any advice is help.

No, those mistakes can be cured by motion at trial.

Alright.
Do you know what kind of penalties will arise if i do go to court and plead guilty? Knowing this is my first offense.

Alright.
Do you know what kind of penalties will arise if i do go to court and plead guilty? Knowing this is my first offense.

If you get the deferred adjudication, NOTHING.
Well, nothing than you paying a small fine.
The charge will evaporate if you do as you're told.
Usually less than $100 plus costs, another $100.

Even if you can't get the above, still a small fine.
They might make you take an alcohol abuse class and do community service.
You'll also have to pay that small fine and court costs.

California is all about the money for these small offenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back