Unconstitutional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimgalactic

My school has uniforms, but I wanted to wear a shirt on the 10th that supported a well-known cause. The principal said no. It's Suicide Prevention (the cause). Isn't it against my first amendment rights that he isn't letting me wear that shirt?

No, it isn't against your 1st amendment rights. Sorry.

My school has uniforms, but I wanted to wear a shirt on the 10th that supported a well-known cause. The principal said no. It's Suicide Prevention (the cause). Isn't it against my first amendment rights that he isn't letting me wear that shirt?

Schools have carved out many special exceptions to facilitae educating the youth of America.

That said, you have very few rights in a school.

Perhaps I should say, you have fewer rights.

At any rate, you can wear the shirt.

They can't prevent you from doing that.

So, you are allowed to express yourself.

But, they reserve the right to sanction, suspend, isolate, or expel you.

You do have "due process" of sorts during the adjudication of any sanction or punishment.

Finally, if you're a minor (as in not an adult) you have no rights.

Your parents have rights they pass to you, because the courts consider minors to be legal incompetents.

You have the right to be suspended, expelled or given detention. If you dislike school policies, present a valid, reasonable and compelling argument for change at the school board meetings.

Courts have allowed schools to place limits on "student speech" including slogan T-shirts. A T-shirt with a slogn generally would not have constitutional protection.

However, there is nothing to stop you from "challenging" the school policy - at a school board meeting, as disagreeable suggested, would be the place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back