Uncle illegally forcing power of attorney over grandma?

G

Background Info:

My great grandma Carol is in her 80's now, and she recently has developed a bout of rapidly onset dementia. So fast, that it happened over the course of about 2 weeks. The current speculated diagnosis by her doctor is a series of mini strokes, but she is scheduled for tests to pinpoint the actual cause. She also recently had a cognitive test that she failed; e.g. at one point she was asked to sign her own name on a piece of paper, and she wasn't able to. She was also not able to say what county she lives in.

Currently carol is living with my grandma Jane (they jointly own a house), and Jane is taking care of her.

Now, my great uncle is one of those white trash, incredibly greedy types of person who actually does not give two f's about grandma carol, but wants to make sure he gets EVERYTHING. So, of course, as soon as this happens he immediately gets a lawyer and starts putting pressure on her to try and get information about the will, and all of her assets. Jane has told him repeatedly that there is no money (living on SS currently), yet he is convinced that they are hiding tons of money from him in some account.

Problem:

This weekend, he plans on showing up at my grandma's house with a lawyer and notary to get carol to sign over power of attorney to him, and he's claiming he's doing whats best for her and its for her health, etc etc. We all know its bs.

My question is.. is this legal? My understanding is that she can't consent to POA because she is mentally incompetent. But if thats true, why would the lawyer and notary be willing to do this? Jane has told him not to, but shes very old and he can be frighteningly forceful. Should I call the cops? I live fairly close, so I could drive there but i'm not exactly sure what else I can do to help. I can video record the event for evidence if that would help.

My great uncle has only ever manipulated and leeched money off of my great grandma, and it makes me immensely angry to think he would try to get away with something like this too. So any advice you can share that can help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

If your grandmother is mentally incompetent then having 50 lawyers and notaries isn't going to make a power of attorney any more binding. Calling the police isn't going to make any difference since they don't get involved in legal matters of a civil nature. probably the best thing to do would be to call an attorney of your own. An attorney can advise and represent you.

Perhaps Jane may consider refusing entry of your great uncle and his lawyer into her home. And if he tries to force his way in, she can call the police. The home is private property. I have a feeling that if she does call the police, any claims of trying to reach your great grandmother with his hired gun will probably be challenging. This is just a thought and remember that legal advice can only be provided via a full consultation with an attorney. This is just my own personal opinion.

Back