Unclaimed Cash Subpoena

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggolt

My jurisdiction is: Sacramento, CA

There is a particular company that claims I owe them $300 for their services and has sued me for non-payment. According to the court subpoena, I could go to court on the scheduled date (1-2009) or another option was to simply pay the amount due the plaintiff. I chose to pay the amount due and sent the plaintiff a personal check but (foolishly) did not certify the letter. However, I did follow-through and sent the courthouse (via certified mail) my case number and a copy of the written check. While I'm waiting for the check to clear, what precautions do I need to take should the plaintiff not inform the court of receiving my payment? With the court appearance a little over a month from now and 300 miles away, I cannot afford to be victimized with a "no show". :(

If the cheque is already cashed, send the courthouse a copy of the cancelled cheque.

If not, and assuming there is some magic to certified mail in these circumstances, you might put a stop payment on the cheque, advise the recipient, and send a new cheque by certified mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back