Breaking a Lease Unauthorized Tenants - My Rights as a Sub-Tenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefe

I am a subtenant in a 5 bedroom home in San Francisco. Another resident, also a subtenant, has moved his girlfriend into his room without permission. Additionally he smokes cigarettes in his room, constantly causes noise issues (band practice in his room with the windows open), and just has a general lack of respect for the house and the people living in it.

I have brought my concerns to the attention of the primary tenants living in the home, whom I understand should effectively be acting as landlord since they are the ones on the lease, and there has been a failure of any action being taken. At this point I feel like I live in a hostile environment and my space is encroached upon by an unauthorized tenant whom the landlords fail to act against.

What options for recourse do I have here? San Francisco is not a cheap place to live and the fact that we have people living here for free who do not abide by the lease is not acceptable. Ultimately, I would just like for the additional tenant to not be here, but if she is to remain she should be charged an equitable 'squatters' fee. How do I resolve the issue if the landlord fails to act?

You won't change the behavior or cavalier attitude of others.
Your best option is to submit your notice and move.
Barring that possibility, you're living in a modern day boarding house.
They don't care, you do.
They'll never care, except they receive money from people hard pressed to do better.
You're getting what you pay for, a place to flop, a room in a boarding house full of people you might otherwise avoid.
Most of them appear to be uncouth, uncivilized, and self centered.
There's little the law offers in these situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back