Unauthorized ACH transaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

SethM

Hello,

I don't know much about the law or have any lawyer friends so I was hoping to see if someone thought I had a case here.

I signed up for 12 months of hosting with a web hosting company. I signed a contract for 12 months and payed for the entire 12 months. 30 days prior to the end of the contract I emailed the guy and canceled my service. He said that it automatically renewed 90 days prior and that I owed $900 but could pay $450 to get out of the contract. I didn't bite since here's what the contract says under term

3. Term. This term of this Agreement begins on the Effective Date and will continue until the earlier of (i) final completion of the Services or (ii) termination by (a) either party upon fourteen (14) days prior written notice to the other, or (b) immediately upon notice by the nonbreaching party if the other party fails to comply with any provision of this Agreement.

I believed I was in the right and refused to pay for service. One month later when the next bill for month 13 was due he used my checking account number to pull $75 from my account. While I authorized him to pull from the account when I purchased the services, I did not authorize him to charge me again.

I closed my checking account and filed a dispute with my bank. I actually don't care about the $75 but he threatened to send this to collections and blocked my email address from contacting him further.

If I'm only out $75, that's fine but I'm worried about my credit and pretty angry about it. I have high anxiety as it is and this is the type of stuff that keeps me up at night.

Could I take any action? I don't care if every dime goes to charity or my lawyer. It would just help me sleep.

Chances are your bank will give you back the $75, but be sure to answer their letter (they usually send a letter after you speak with them, to confirm the dispute). I seriously doubt that the web host can hurt your credit even if they wanted to. They probably don't intend to do more than try to harass you into paying what you don't owe. Get some sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back