Unable to work until broken ribs heal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenora

My Husband is self-employed. He has been working with my Uncle building a house. They were working and my husband fell on metal on his spine and ribs, breaking serveral ribs. My Uncle knows we live paycheck to paycheck and has not offered any help at all. I do not want to sue but unsure of what to do. He has not been working for almost 2 weeks now and I am going to have to go to the sharing center to get food. I was hoping by now my Uncle would have stepped up and offered to pay us or at the very least offer us a loan until he can get back to work. What are my options?

What about insurance?

The injuries appear to be serious. If insurance cannot cover this you need to sit down with uncle and negotiate some help. The problem is whether uncle has the means to help and is just being stingy. If that is the case then you need help from a lawyer. If uncle has no means to help, suing is not going to get you anywhere.

At any rate make sure hubby gets all the medical attention necessary to heal properly. This is not the time for you two to be bickering about anything. You have to work as a team.

I would file a claim with the insurance company-I am not sure whos comapny would be responsible though. Also since you now have no income coming in, if you don't work then it is time to get a job. Even if you file a claim it is going to be a while for money to start coming in.

Home Owner's Insurance?

Was the house building part of your husband's being self-employed? Whose house was he working on to build? Is there a house already standing on that property. If there is/was there should be some type of home owner's insurance or property insurance that you may file a claim against. See if there is a legal aide office where you live and although they are very busy, be persistant and tell them you have no money or food, etc... also don't wait! Apply for food stamp assistance (I don't know if you have to have kids to apply or not) as soon as possible. Some area's local utility's companies have a program to help people temporarily (like one month worth's) of those commodities. But you have to apply and meet their standards. Don't feel like it's a handout because it's not. Your taxes pay for these programs which are exactly for people who are in situations like yours. Don't let your husband talk you out it...just do it. You shouldn't have to go hungry. Also, don't wait for your/his uncle to offer you anything. If you need it, ask for it. They may believe you're fine and that if you needed something you would ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back