Unable to Pay Refund

Jonah

Jurisdiction
Alabama
I paid a franchised company "Floor Coverings International" $7,000 to do work on my home (flooring). The company owner said his contractor quit before starting. He was unable to find a new contractor after several months; so he told me I could hire another and he would reimburse me in two weeks. Months later, he said he doesn't have the money to give me a refund. The police said for me to charge him with "Theft by Deception". He said the police don't understand the statute, and that since he's a C corporation, if I do file charges, he will never reimburse me. This is a small fortune for me; not sure what to do. I don't want the guy in jail, just my refund.

It doesn't sound like theft by deception or anything else criminal based on what you've said here.
You will need to resolve this in small claims it civil court if you can work it out.
Get a judgment against him and then place a lien on any assets.

I paid a franchised company "Floor Coverings International" $7,000 to do work on my home (flooring). The company owner said his contractor quit before starting. He was unable to find a new contractor after several months; so he told me I could hire another and he would reimburse me in two weeks. Months later, he said he doesn't have the money to give me a refund. The police said for me to charge him with "Theft by Deception". He said the police don't understand the statute, and that since he's a C corporation, if I do file charges, he will never reimburse me. This is a small fortune for me; not sure what to do. I don't want the guy in jail, just my refund.

The thief will put himself in jail.

He stole your money.

He didn't pay the contractor.

He won't refund you the money.

You are out $7,000.

He still has your money.

You don't have the $7,000 and your floor was never completed.

I'd file an official police report and allow the criminal justice system to mete out justice to the thief.

Criminals commit misdeeds.

If a thief steals $7,000, why should you worry about the thief ending up in prison?

Prison is where felons belong.

Back