K Visa U.S permanent resident marrying Canadian citizen

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkbuttafly

my sister (canadian citizenship) is marrying a permanent resident of the U.S in Sept. 2005. She plans to move to the U.S by January 2006. In speaking to her pastor for the church ceremony, she was asked when she would have the certificate ready for him to view, so this is where i come in... :rolleyes:

Their ceremony is more cultural than legal, but they would like to make it legal. what would be the best way to obtain a marriage certificate? We live close to Niagara Falls Ontario & New York. Would it be ideal to go to the U.S side of the Falls to do a civil ceremony becasue she plans to become a U.S resident? Or would it be better to get a marriage certificate on the Canadian side?

I've searched this forum but have run across more citizens of U.S/Canada type situations. I've been to the U.S Gov't site, but it doesn't really address this issue. Any help in this matter will make *my* life easier :D

thanks!

i think i found a thread with the similar situation, however, one of them is an american permanent citizen. hopefully, the same rules apply. i'll research it on the gov't website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back