Criminal Law U.S. Citizenship with a 1994 Felony Convication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonp

Is it possible to obtain U.S. Citizenship with a felony conviction that occured back in 1994? I was 18 yrs old at the time and considered an accomplice and held a green card since 1985. The charge and conviction was an Attempted Roberry in the 3rd. No weapon. 8 months jail time. Never been arrested since then.

I look forward to hearing from you!

I could be wrong but while your crime is one involving moral turpitude (CIMT), I have heard that there is no automatic bar provided the crime wasn't one that would permanently bar you (e.g. murder) and the crime occurred more than five years prior to your application. Perhaps this might be what is in mind:

Section 2 12(a)(2)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act:

(i) In general.-Except as provided in clause (ii), any alien convicted of, or who admits having committed, or who admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of-

(I) a crime involving moral turpitude (other than a purely political offense or an attempt or conspiracy to commit such a crime) . . . .

(ii) Exception.-Clause (i)(I) shall not apply to an alien who committed only one crime if-

(I) the crime was committed when the alien was under 18 years of age, and the crime was committed (and the alien released from any confinement to a prison or correctional institution imposed for the crime) more than 5 years before the date of application for a visa or other documentation and the date of application for admission to the United States, or

(II) the maximum penalty possible for the crime of which the alien was convicted (or which the alien admits having committed or of which the acts that the alien admits having committed constituted the essential elements) did not exceed imprisonment for one year and, if the alien was convicted of such crime, the alien was not sentenced to a term of imprisonment in excess of 6 months (regardless of the extent to which the sentence was ultimately executed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back