two roommates one lease. roommate leaves before lease is up and no notice or warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

12buckel

A roommate and I signed a lease the first week of February. Up until recently everything was fine. There was one of his friends staying with us for free. After months of requesting the friend leave and nothing happening I finally kicked the friend out myself. Shortly after (2 days later) I return home from work and the roommate moved out. There was no warning or notice stating he wanted out. We both signed the lease and rent is due shortly. I have called and text the roommate multiple times and have no response. He still has his key and left me with all the bills and rent to myself. If we are both on the lease is there something that can be done? I don't want to be the only one held accountable for the up coming month.

Both people are separately and jointly responsible for the lease. Since your roommate left, now you have to figure a way to pay the rent since you are still there. You would need to take your roommate to court & sue for what he owes in rent that you end up paying.

Actually you have no case to pursue against the roommate. The roommate owes you nothing.
The landlord could pursue either of you if the rent is not paid.
As above, you need to come up with the full rent unless your lease says you only owe a portion and roommate owes the rest (not likely).
Do yourself a favor and let the landlord know ahead of time if you won't be able to pay. They will often work with you if they feel you are being responsible.

I know that in at least some states the remaining roommate can sue the roommate that left (generally small claims court depending on amt.) for any part of the rent that he/she pays that the roommate that left should have paid. (example half for each month)

The roomie is responsible to the landlord, not to you.

If lawfully married (and contractually bound) husbands and wives have financial issues, it stands to reason roomies could, too.

That's why I advise against having roomies.

In this case A and B have a lease with landlord L.

A skips out, B wants to stay. B is required to pay L, what A doesn't, if B wants to stay put. If B doesn't pay, L could move to evict B. L need not chase A for the money, but could choose to only go after B.

In your case, if you had sublet to A, with L's written consent, you could waste your time chasing A.

I say again, roomies often go sour, just as marriages do. People are social creatures, not necessarily communal creatures.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

By the way, you're lucky the friend left. Legally to rid yourselves of the mooch, an eviction would ave been required. Your booting the mooch, angered your roomie, and he took a powder.

Again, indicative of why roomie situations go sour.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back