Two owner vehicle rights - Need some insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmurphy

Okay so here is the story:

My girlfriend bought a vehicle new from the dealership back in 2008. The loan was signed only in her name. The title apparently was signed in both her name and her father's name, and apparently that was so she could get cheaper insurance through him. Well she was the only one paying for and using the vehicle since the time of purchase until October 2010. She and her father made an agreement that he would help her try to sell the vehicle, but would take it while doing so, and he said he would make the payments while he had it and while he was trying to sell it. Well he didn't make any of the payments on time, which has affected my girlfriend since she is responsible for the loan, and he made no effort to try to sell the vehicle. Now she has informed him that their agreement fell apart on his end and she wants the vehicle back from him. He is now refusing to give her back the vehicle and is hiding it from her. We are pretty sure that his brother currently has it and is hiding it, but we don't have any way to contact him.

So my question is, what are her options here? Can she take him to court? Can she call the police?

Thanks for any help.

Her devious father has as much legal right to the vehicle as she does.
Calling the police would only get this answer, "This is a civil matter."
She can sue dad, but what would that get her?
She'd have to prove they had a contract.
She has nothing in writing.
I bet this crook wouldn't back up her story.
I suggest she try to reason with dad.
She should pay the note, if she worries about her credit.
With a dad like this, I'd rather be an orphan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back