Two last names

Chelly Rob

Jurisdiction
California
I would like to know how to go about adding my stepdads last name to my biological last name. I would like to do this without having to go to court if at all possible. My stepdad raise me from 6 months old. I would like to honor them both my biological dad who gave me life and my stepdad who raise me. How can I do this

I would like to know how to go about adding my stepdads last name to my biological last name. I would like to do this without having to go to court if at all possible

The WHY you wish to become, for example, SMITH-JONES is irrelevant.

The only TWO ways for you to become SMITH-JONES is one: marry a person with the last name JONES. The marriage will allow you to become SMITH-JONES.

The other way is to do that which you don't want to do, go to court.

Name Change - name_change_selfhelp

Note: In California, you generally have the legal right to change your name simply by using a new name in all aspects of your life, also known as the "usage method."

FAQs - name_change_selfhelp

File a Petition to Change Your Name - name_change_selfhelp

BUT, with few exceptions, government agencies require a court order as official proof of a name change so getting a court order is the best way to make sure you legally change your name.

I would like to know how to go about adding my stepdads last name to my biological last name. I would like to do this without having to go to court if at all possible. My stepdad raise me from 6 months old. I would like to honor them both my biological dad who gave me life and my stepdad who raise me. How can I do this

You'll need to file the proper petition for the name change with the court. The California courts have a self help name change page to assist. You likely can do this without an attorney.

Are you 18 or older?
If yes, are you under a conservatorship?

If you are 18 or older and not under a conservatorship, then I agree with the above. If you are under 18, or if you are under a conservatorship, then the process would be different.

I would like to know how to go about adding my stepdads last name to my biological last name.

Here's a link to California's law on name changes.

Here's a link where you can get the relevant forms.

I would like to do this without having to go to court if at all possible.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if a court appearance is required. However, while waiting in courtrooms for hearings on civil cases I have handled, I have witnessed a bunch of name change hearings. Those hearings were about as perfunctory as you can imagine. Not sure what your aversion is to a court appearance, but it won't be a big deal.

I would like to do this without having to go to court if at all possible.
I'm adding this to the prior information provided above.

Going "to court" is not always an adversarial or contentious thing. Some hearings are mere formalities. If you have to attend a court hearing over this, and assuming nobody has challenged the name change, it's going to be a very easy, short, and straight-forward hearing. The judge will make it easy for you and it will be no big deal. Don't worry about that aspect of it. The court hearing will be the easiest part of an easy process.

You will definitely have to go through the court to request a name change - if you want to legally change your name.

The other option is that you can socially use that name, for example on social media. I know my SIL uses my brother's last name on social media but she's never legally changed it. But in her daily life she goes by his last name.

Back