Trying to understand USAID job ad that seems to make race a qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddebernardo

Hello,

I would like to apply for a prestigious internship at USAID but the ad has some very confusing language that seems to limit half of the positions, including one I would like to apply for, to only students of certain racial/ethnic backgrounds. Not only that, even if you are the right color, you will not be considered if you don't also attend a minority serving institution. It seems that qualified white and Asian students are excluded. Before I apply, I wanted to find out if I am misunderstanding and also if this is even legal. Here is the language:

"Attracting and retaining diverse new talent to the Agency's health programs is a key goal of GHFP. We believe that a more richly textured workforce will be of great benefit as USAID's Global Health Bureau moves into the future. One way of achieving this goal is to provide internship opportunities to students and graduates of minority serving institutions including Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Hispanic Serving Institutions and Tribal Colleges and Universities. While all of our internships are available to any qualified individuals who would like to apply, four in particular (Malaria Intern, Management Resources Planning Intern and Program Management & Publication Intern) are designated for students or graduates of minority serving institutions."

Thank you to anybody who has advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back