Trying to keep a ticket from appearing on my MVR...need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkozlow3

Hi all.

I just moved to CO and have a FL driver's license (I actually have 2 copies of my FL license, which may be of some importance here).

Anyway, I just got a speeding ticket in CO. The cop wrote it up with my FL license and I have a court date here in CO in 3 weeks.

I thought of 2 possible solutions (which are both hypothetical) to keep this ticket from hitting my MVR and impacting my insurance rates, and I'm looking for some advice.

Solution #1:

Obtain a CO license prior to my court date. Surrender the FL license at that time, but take my duplicate FL license with me to court (in case they ask to see it - I have no idea if they even would). When I'm convicted of speeding, they would then send the info to FL, possibly keeping the ticket from ever appearing on my CO record.

Solution #2:

Keep my FL license until I go to court then immediately proceed to the DMV to obtain a CO license after leaving court. I'm assuming they mail or fax the speeding ticket info to FL in which case they wouldn't see that I have that ticket on my record when I go to obtain the CO license immediately after leaving court and the ticket would not be on my CO record.

These scenarios both assume that when getting a new license in a different state, that the state only checks your MVR in your prior state of residence at that time right when you go to obtain your license. I have no idea if this is true or not, but I'm looking for advice, as I really don't want to have to pay an increased insurance rate of $150 every 6 months for the next 3 years!! That makes the TRUE cost of a speeding ticket like $1000 in my case...ouch!!

Thanks so much for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back